Martini, the world’s top Italian sparkling wine and vermouth brand, owned by Bacardi, announced that all of its Asti grape suppliers will be certified sustainable in 2021, getting it closer to achieving its 2025 goal of sustainably sourcing 100% of its key ingredients.
The Martini Santo Stefano Belbo winery, responsible for producing 30% of all the grape ‘must’ for Martini Asti, was recently certified sustainable by Equalitas. Of the remaining 70%, more than two-thirds of the grape must suppliers, which are hundreds of small grape growers, have also been certified sustainable by Equalitas with the rest awaiting certification this year.
Stefano Stefanucci, Director of Equalitas, said: “This is a big achievement for Martini. Equalitas only works with third-party auditors who are experts with a deep knowledge of the wine sector and the certification process is wholly holistic. Equalitas embraces three sustainability pillars — environmental, ethical and economical — and takes into consideration everything from a winery’s carbon footprint and water consumption through to fair commercial terms for farmers and good social practices including training and welfare.”
Nonetheless, Martini has been a sustainability innovator for decades. Bacardi says that in 1987, Martini founded a centre dedicated to sustainable business practices called L’Osservatorio Martini, which has introduced many sustainability practices to the Asti region.
“There is a deep connection between Martini, the land and the people — it’s a solid foundation for making quality wine,” said Giorgio Castagnotti, Director of the Martini Operations Centre in Pessione, Italy. “We have worked closely with the same farming communities growing the finest Moscato grapes in the same beautiful hills for generations — in fact, for the last 150 years — and we want to continue to do so for generations to come. It’s always made sense for us to support our grape growers through our sustainability initiatives.”
The hills of Asti are the ideal growing environment for the Moscato Bianco grape and have a DOCG title, the highest quality level for Italian wines. Skilfully harvested in late summer by more than 200 small growers, the grapes are quickly pressed to capture the preferred natural flavours in the fresh must. Through fermentation, the must becomes the basis of Martini Asti’s delicate flavours.
Along with the development of the industry’s first biodegradable spirits bottle, Bacardi is closer to becoming the leader in environmental responsibility in the spirits industry.